Thrips Pest Solution: Amblyseius cucumeris
Amblyseius (Pronounced: AM-BLI-SAY-US) are small very active predatory mites, about 1mm long, pale brown in colour with slightly flattened pear shaped bodies, their eggs are white.
Amblyseius are used to control thrips by growers in commercial horticulture.
Amblyseius cucumeris Life Cycle
Amblyseius adults produce several eggs a day and are quite long lived. Both the adults and young mites eat thrips and may also eat young spider mites.
Amblyseius cucumeris Usage
- Amblyseius requires a temperature of 18°C (64°F).
- Amblyseius should be introduced to the greenhouse/conservatory on the day of receipt.
- Amblyseius are sensitive to long hot dry spells, so damping down or misting can help at these times.
- Amblyseius sachets should not be placed in direct sunlight or near to heating pipes.
- Like all Defenders biological controls, Amblyseius is harmless to children, pets and wildlife and will not become a pest in its own right.
Biological Thrip Control Product Details
Defenders supply Amblyseius cucumeris in sachets known as "breeder" packs where the mites are mixed with bran. These "breeder" packs are simply hung among your plants. A food supply for Amblyseius is also contained in the sachet, and it is therefore possible to introduce them to the crop before thrips numbers have built up.
All packs of Amblyseius are sent with full release instructions contained in the document wallet on the package.
Remember! Biological controls are living creatures and can be effected by chemical usage. If you've used any persistent pesticides recently check with us before ordering Amblyseius. As a general rule stop using pyrethrum 4 days before, derris 1-2 weeks before and soft soap insecticides 1 day before releasing Amblyseius.