Garden Pest Solution: GRUBSURE LTT,
Biological Vine Weevil Control
GRUBSURE LTT contains the Steinernema kraussei nematode.
Grubsure LTT Description:
Steinernema kraussei are tiny parasitic eel worms (nematodes). Barely visible to the naked eye, they occur naturally in British soils.
The nematodes are mixed with a carrier medium to make Grubsure LTT, this is the form in which they are despatched.
Grubsure LTT Life Cycle:
The nematodes live in moisture surrounding soil particles. They seek out vine weevil grubs and enter them through body openings. Once inside the grub, the nematodes release a bacteria which kills it within 48 hours.
The dead grub then starts to decompose. The nematodes reproduce inside the dead grub and are then released back into the soil to infect more vine weevil grubs.
If there are no grubs present in the soil the nematodes will die out after a few weeks.
Grubsure LTT Usage:
- Grubsure LTT will kill vine weevil grubs, it has no effect on the adults or eggs.
- Grubsure LTT can be used in pots and containers as well as open borders. It can also be used on all plants including edible ones.
- Grubsure LTT should be applied to moist soil or compost, the area treated should be kept moist by normal watering after application to enable the nematodes to swim in the soil moisture.
- Grubsure LTT is most effective at soil temperatures above 5ºC (41ºF).
NB. Soil temperature is more stable than air temperature. We supply thermometers for monitoring soil and air temperatures.
- Grubsure LTT is simply applied as a drench and will kill all vine weevil grubs present in the treated area.
NB. If there are no grubs present the nematodes will die out.
- Grubsure LTT can be kept in a fridge NOT freezer at 5ºC for use before the pack expiry date (about one to two weeks after delivery date), however it is best used immediately upon receipt.
- Grubsure LTT is best applied in the spring (March/May) and autumn (late August/November), these are the times that most vine weevil grubs will be present in the soil.
- Like all Defenders biological controls, GrubsureT is harmless to children, pets and wildlife and will not become a pest in its own right.
Biological Vine Weevil Control Product Details
All packs of Grubsure LTT are sent with complete instructions, and a free information sheet on Biological Vine Weevil Control entitled "Your Questions Answered" .