Garden Pest Solution : SLUGSURE T,
Biological Slug Control
SLUGSURE T contains the Phasmarhabditis nematode
Phasmarhabditis is a tiny parasitic eel worm (nematode), barely visible to the naked eye, which occur naturally in British soils.
The Defenders product Slugsure contains these nematodes mixed with a carrier medium.
SlugsureT Life Cycle:
The nematodes live in moisture surrounding soil particles, they seek out slugs and enter them under the mantle.
Once inside the slug, the nematodes release a bacteria. Infested slugs will stop feeding within five days and go underground to die.
The nematodes reproduce inside the slug as it dies and are released back into the soil after the slugs death to infect more slugs.
- Slugsure will control most ages and species of slugs. Small to medium sized slugs burrow underground during the day, where it is moist. Large slugs over 8 cm, which are found in some parts of the country, are less able to burrow underground and therefore tend to live on the soil surface, SlugsureT is less effective at controlling these, however a beer trap such as SlugX (see shop) is ideal for these larger slugs and also traps snails.
- Slugsure may effect water snails. To avoid harming water snails keep the treatment 6" away from ponds.
- Slugsure should be applied to moist soil or compost, the area treated should be kept moist by normal watering after application to enable the nematodes to swim in the soil moisture.
- Slugsure needs a minimum soil temperature of 5ºC (40ºF).
NB. Soil temperature is more stable than air temperature.
- Slugsure is simply applied as a drench, and will be effective for at least 6 weeks after which time a repeat application may be necessary.
- Slugsure can be kept in a fridge NOT freezer at 5ºC for use before the pack expiry date (about one to two weeks after delivery date), however it is best used immediately upon receipt.
- Like all Defenders biological controls, Slugsure is harmless to children, pets and wildlife and will not become a pest in its own right.
Biological Slug Control Product Details
Defenders supply SlugsureT in 2 pack sizes. The nematodes are suspended in a carrier and supplied in a sachet, simply mix with water and apply to the soil as a drench using a watering can and coarse rose.
SlugsureT is recommended outdoors between 1st March and 31st October. Under protection they can be used any time if temperatures exceed 5ºC.
All packs of SlugsureT are sent with complete instructions, and a free information sheet on Biological Slug Control entitled "Your Questions Answered" .
NB. SlugsureT is produced in a high tech fermentation process and each batch of product is subjected to extensive QC testing before despatch. In the event of a batch failing the tests, SlugsureT may become temporarily unavailable.